SHAC is a network of tenants and residents in housing associations and cooperatives aligned to the Unite Housing Workers Branch which represents staff in these organisations.
Why? Because increasingly for larger associations, tenants and residents are mere commodities, and staff are just another corporate resource, instead of living, breathing human beings whose lives can be devastated when their employer or landlord mistreats them. Because tenants and staff alike complain of bullying senior management, of highly vindictive and oppressive cultures, of performance judged against arbitrary targets instead of the actual quality of service provided, of extortionate rents and service charges on the one hand, and low pay and sub-inflation pay rises for the majority of workers on the other. And because none of this is inevitable or necessary.
Join here to become a SHAC supporter, and receive our updates.
On this site you will find advice on setting up a tenants or residents organisation, making a complaint about your landlord, or launching a campaign, as well as news articles on our activities. There are templates and checklists for shortcuts to aid busy campaigners.
- For general publicity, see our Linking HA Residents and Workers flyer.
- If you have information or would like to get involved, feel free to contact us here.
Our demands include:
- Improved repairs and maintenance services;
- Reduced rents and service charges;
- Waive rents and service charges for those struggling financially during the pandemic;
- Better health and safety provisions; and
- An end to the hyper-exploitation of housing workers.